Sunday, July 28, 2013

Memory From Dad's Nephew David Blair


Submitted by Dad's Nephew, David Blair:
About 12 years ago, we were at Daniel and Leann's wedding reception.  We had Aubriela with us and Cindy was pregnant with Alyssa.  As all the family kind of sat there talking, I was standing off to the side by myself.  Carl went out of his way to come up to me and talk.  

First thing he said, "David, things are rough with the economy right now.  How is your job, is it pretty secure?" It kind of caught me off guard because I had just been laid off the day before from work.  We hadn't told anyone, and didn't want to cause a scene at the wedding letting anyone know that we were a little distraught worrying about finding a job in the current economy. However, this was Carl, I felt like I could be upfront with him.

"Actually, I just lost my job yesterday, but we haven't told anyone yet because we don't want my mom to freak out at the wedding, so don't tell anyone we probably aren't going to tell anyone because we don't want everyone worrying."

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.  But, I don't want you to have to worry about money, it might take you a long time to find a job right now, I will help you out with whatever you need financially if you need it".

I thanked him graciously and said, "Thanks, but we are ok, we have some money saved up and we will be ok for a little while."

"How much money do you have saved, you might need more than you think." he persisted.

I told him, and satisfied that we had enough for a little while, he made sure that I knew he would help us out if we needed it, and that he would check back with me soon. 

Three weeks later we were at his house for a family party.  As we were all out front getting ready to leave he said, "David, will you show me your Potato Cannon?" It was in the trunk of my car, and always excited at the chance to show off the cannon, I quickly showed him to the car and opened the trunk and gleefully pointed at the cannon. "I don't want to see your cannon, I just wanted to know how your job search is going, and if you guys needed any help yet." Carl said.

I remember I was a little disappointed in myself that he had so blatantly fooled me.  I really thought he wanted to see the cannon, however, he knew that we still hadn't told anyone that I was unemployed.  He just wanted to get me alone to talk, and he knew my cannon would fool me into doing it in a heartbeat, and it totally worked.

I again told him I think we will be fine, that I had some interviews that went really well and anticipated having a job again soon."Let me know if it doesn't work out, I will help you guys out." 

As it turned out, I had a job offer that greeted me in my inbox when I got home that night which we accepted.

He was adamant that I know that there was no reason to worry about money and that things would be ok from a financial standpoint.  He was the first one that we called to let know that I got a job.  Thinking back, I think he was the only one that even knew that I lost my job.

It typified Carl.  He had sufficient for his needs, and the rest didn't seem to matter too much, so he was willing to share.  Whether it was money, to his property.  He was always willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment