Friday, July 5, 2013

What You Don't Know About Carl



This week we've heard some great stories and learned a lot about Dad.  There may be some things you didn't know.

Did you know that he has a collection of dozens and dozens of frogs?  How did he start collecting frogs? He picked one up as a souvenir on a vacation once.  Then when on vacation looking for a souvenir, he just felt like picking up another one.  You may know that he’s a bit impulsive which also makes him tough to shop for.  If he ever had any inclination to own something – he bought it.  So the frog collection was occasionally a cop out gift opportunity for us.

Some have learned that what they don’t know about Carl can hurt them.  More than one tough guy in his early twenties has accepted the invitation to snowshoe up to Bountiful Peak naively thinking they would humor the old man by joining him on a leisurely hike, only to beg for mercy a couple hours into the trek.  The real humility was learned as they would just catch up to him as he was resting on a knoll then he’d say something like “I’m just going to keep moving before my old knees stiffen up – I’m an old man you know”.

You may know him as an outstanding biker, or a knowledgeable Distribution/Supply Chain manager but did you know how amazing he is in his personal life?  He always put our family first.  I was always amazed that when I’d call to see if he would be free for an early ride or snow shoeing trek the next morning that he was usually available.  I always thought this was pretty fortunate given how busy he keeps himself.  It wasn't until this week that I learned that he’d simply say he was available then go tell his friends he’d have to cancel on whatever else he had originally planned.  Sorry guys, but I’m so glad he did.

He has provided years of service to a number of widows in our neighborhood.  He has led countless youth on various activities and taught them many of life’s most important lessons.  This week we've heard countless people share how he’s coached, inspired and lifted them.

I always knew that he was my best friend to go have an adventure with, but I guess even I didn't know how great of a man he is.

-Jeff



3 comments:

  1. As my dad returned from visiting with your family at the hospital tonight we sat and shared stories about your father. What fond memories they have together. They were always racing and trying to outdo the other on their hikes and rides. It was also fun to look at all the pictures from all there hikes.
    prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memories of Carl are seeing him up on my neighbor Merle's roof every year getting her swamp cooler ready. Sometimes hornets were involved but he always got it done. Merle has been a widow for many years and Carl has taken great care of her. There were many times he would bring the young men over to help in her yard. Merle loved Carl so much she told the new Bishop if you release Carl as my home teacher I'm not coming to church!
    Another favorite memory of Carl was in primary. When he was in the Bishopric he would come to primary every month. He would start with a story, he was good at that, then he would let a child come up, take a pair of scissors, and cut his tie! Boy did that get their attention, they loved it.
    Marilyn our hearts and prayers are with you and your family.
    With Love,
    Jennifer Eagar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been sitting at work reading all of the great stories of Carl and overcome by emotions from this GREAT man!I feel very lucky to be in the "Dog" family with Carl and wouldn't be if Carl didn't call me Jay-Dog every time we chatted. I know my brothers as well were included: Tye-Dog, Quinn-Dog and Drew-Dog. I'm sure everyone he knew personally was a "Dog" in a very cool way. I am so grateful for knowing such a great man!

    Our thoughts and prayers with you Blair family!

    Love,
    The Cannon's - Jay, Amy, Spencer, Kaden & Cooper

    ReplyDelete