Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Can I Borrow Some Titanium?


We are really loving the stories being emailed to us, please keep them coming! We miss him so much and hearing stories about him helps us to laugh and keep moving forward. We're amazed at all the things my dad has done that we've never heard about...some are crazy stories, some are stories of service he's offered...we love them all.

We're sharing two stories with you today...along with a vintage picture of Carl the Fierce Outdoor Adventurer...

"I hardly knew Carl at the time, but I was getting ready to do my second triathlon and needed a road bike. I asked Carl about borrowing one from someone and he said he had an old Titanium bike he could loan me. I went over to his house and he showed me how to take care of it and  he made a few adjustments so it fit properly. Everything went great at my race and it wasn't until much later that I went for a ride with Carl and I said "Carl, why are you riding your old titanium bike?"   It was then that I realized he had let me borrow his nicest bike!  I had one of the best bikes at my race and didn't even know it because Carl was more concerned with me being comfortable about borrowing it than he was about the bike.  

Thanks Carl! I've enjoyed many years of biking since. You were an example in everything you did."

-Stephen Roberts 



Hello Blairs,

I met Carl on our way to basic training for the Air Force Reserves back in the spring of 1971. We were very good friends ever since even though our paths diverged we remain dear friends of Carl and Marilyn. 

I have a bunch of funny stories about reserves and working at Redman warehouse while we were in college. 

One story was ...

We were at a reserve weekend meeting and at the end of the day the first sergeant ask him for his paperwork that was due. Carl, of course, didn't have it so he just said "I mailed it in". The first sergeant looked a little puzzled and replied "I just gave it to you this morning!"  Carl got away with a lot but not every time. 

Sincerely,
Steve Carver

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your stories. I feel like I am getting to know your Dad well. Pat Whitacre

    ReplyDelete