Sunday, July 21, 2013

Letter from Tami Stephens (ward member)

Dear Blairs, 

I can't imagine that you have any idea of how profoundly you're touching our lives.  Over the past weeks so many people have had you all in their hearts and their prayers.  If Carl had gone quickly instead of lingering, we wouldn't have had the time we've had to pray for him, to ponder over his example, to hear your stories, to resolve to be more like him.  In our home we've come to the conclusion that we don't really know a more well-rounded, righteous individual than Carl.  I'm so thankful for all the times he's punched my boys in the stomach as he passed them in the hallway.  He connected with them in a way they never forgot.  I'm thankful for the way he always was able to grasp the Primary's attention.  Bryce says he still has his tie that he cut off in Primary.  

His generosity added to our memories.  He told Rod where the key was to the cabin so that if we were ever up four-wheeling, we could stop by and let ourselves in for a rest.  I think that's where he must have stored his year's supply of snacks.  I'm thankful for his Sunday School lessons and the way he would jab the golfers or Scott or other friends that showed up to be inspired.  You always came away with something concrete after his lessons.  

The Stephens family will always remember how after our fire, Carl showed up the first day of cleanup, and never went home...until the job was done days later.  He just kept coming back.  He had such a zest for life always squeezing a little bit more out of a day.  I'm sure Heavenly Father didn't think Carl needed more time to prove himself.  What's left to prove?   It's obvious that his priorities are his religion, his wife, his family, his friends.  He made our ward and our neighborhood so much warmer, so much more fun, so much stronger...and somehow being taken before his time has magnified all those examples he's set for us.  Rod spends hours reading and rereading the tributes paid to Carl, and I can't say I've ever seen him more affected by the loss of anyone.  I can tell he's been inspired to be better at all those things that Carl was so good at.  He motivated so many while he was on earth, and if possible, I think he's motivated even more by leaving us so early.  We will miss him and all he's shared with us.  Our lives are richer because of the time we had with him.  I guess it's somebody else's turn to enjoy him now.  You're in our prayers...along with all those sweet little grandchildren who lost such an amazing grandpa.  We hope they have good long-term memories. 
 
With love, Tami Stephens
 

No comments:

Post a Comment