Thursday, July 18, 2013

Memories-Rob Johnson

      In Celebration of Carl, Your Husband, Father, Brother, Grandpa, Manager, Boss, Friend, Leader, Athlete, Competitor, as we know the list goes on and on.

      I shared on your Blog a very personal experience when Carl and when he helped me through some dark and depressing times, when my Mother passed away back in 2000 he was so in tune with the Spirit he pulled me into his office, as our offices were across from each in Salt Lake he shared a similar experience he went through when his Father passed, the Spirit was strong with us and it really helped me see things in a different light. I have so many great memories with Carl, I will write a few of my memories with him and you can keep reading if you would like, Carl thanks for your Great Sense of humor, your toughness, your Testimony and Love you have for our Heavenly Father and all of your Earthly Brothers and Sisters, you consistently portrayed this with your actions.

 We did have a few fun bets with each other, like who could get in shape faster or who could do some jock thing, His love for Pretzels, when ever I wanted a handful of pretzels I would go to his office and he would always have a bag and always shared, I believe I lost several bets with him, I believe I lost several Cokes or drinks to him too, and I think he might have a check I wrote out to him hanging in his garage,  Carl did mention that his wife was not a fan of all his fun bets, I think because he never lost a bet, with anyone!  I think she did not want Carl taking advantage of all us rookies, he never to my knowledge deposited my check, he loved to give me a hard time, and he knew I would always accept the next challenge to save face, I am not a bad looser but I hate loosing more than anything and he knew it,
    
     I first met Carl in 1986 when I became an employee with Smiths at the Layton Warehouse, as time went on and I was promoted to several higher position I was fortunate to be able to meet and interact with him more and more, I became aware of is competitive nature and his very dry sense of humor, I looked up to Carl as a Business Mentor and as a Friend, Carl always set a good example for me and our crew, Carl was true to himself and his Belief’s, he carried himself with Honor and was a True Leader and example, being the oldest brother in my family, and not having an older Brother I looked up to Carl , and looked up to him like an older Brother.

     As busy as he was and frustrated or as stressful as our jobs were, and as heated as some of our meeting became (and yes, I am fully aware of the Red Hair, my lovely wife has Red Hair, and yes there is an instinctive personality trait, and I consider myself a professional on this subject), BUT Carl was as tough and as fair of a Manager as I have ever worked for, even up to my present employment. And a there is a direct correlation with the success of Smith’s Food and Drug Distribution Center and Carl.  As Manager of Bassett Furniture in Grand Junction Colorado, I Credit Carl for the skills I was taught under his leadership and will always be thankful for to Bro.Blair.


Rob Johnson
Warehouse Manager
Bassett Furniture, Grand Junction,Co

No comments:

Post a Comment