Dad used to tell me
about the bet he made with his driver's ed instructor. It was likely one of his
first bets and certainly not the last.
Dad's instructor was not impressed with how comfortable dad already was
behind the wheel on day one of his instruction and it was obvious dad had
already had some unofficial training before driver's ed. His instructor felt that would make him a
little casual and as a result, he bet dad that dad would receive one, if not
numerous, traffic citations in his first year.
While dad definitely
had the opportunity to get a ticket that first year, he escaped it ticketless.
What dad's instructor didn't count on was how much of a charmer dad was. Every
time dad was pulled over that year he found a way of talking his way out of it.
"If you give me
a ticket officer, my dad will take away this car and I won't have a way of
going to college…"
It worked time and
time again. 17 times in fact.
Just as dad had some
"unofficial" driver training, so did I. Mine started when I was 14
and he would let me drive when we would go home teaching to visit families in
our neighborhood. It was only a few blocks but I lived for those brief periods
in the driver's seat. Those quick trips were fun but as I turned 15 and really
needed to learn how to drive, my official "unofficial" training with
dad began. Our training car turned out to be his company car. If you're going
to put a car at risk, it was better to use one that you don't own or pay
insurance premiums on. At the time dad was driving a very unimpressive Mercury
Sable. It was as if Ford Motor Company took the already bland Ford Taurus and
asked "how can we make this more boring?". It was the perfect car to
learn in. It was big, safe, and was guaranteed not to attract attention.
One day dad took me
for a drive out around west Layton where his Smith's warehouse office was
located. On this particular day it had rained so the roads were a little wet. I
was confident behind the wheel of the Sable, but didn't fully understand how
fresh rain on a road changed this precision driving machine's handling
dynamics. We were heading south on Angel
street, just south of Gentile. Those of you that are familiar with the road
know there is a bend in Angel that sneaks up on you. I wasn't familiar with
Angel and the bend snuck up on me.
We were carrying a
little too much speed into the corner when dad asked "Are you going to
make this turn?" The tone in his voice was not as much a question as a
statement. I realized my error and exaggerated my response. I jerked the wheel
hard to the left, cutting the Sable loose on all four wheels. Dad instantly
reached from the passenger seat and his arms were on the wheel working the
steering back and forth. What was only two or three seconds felt like five
minutes. I took my hands off the wheel and let dad pull the car back in line.
We skidded to a stop and sat there speechless for four or five seconds.
I said:
"Well...I guess I'm done driving for a while."
Dad replied:
"No, you need to learn to keep going after something like that
happens."
I waited for my
heart rate to slow down, put the car in drive, and we drove on. Dad was
teaching me something then and I can't help but feel like he's teaching me
something now. Thank you Dad for your patience and for making me the best
driver in our family.

That last comment made me laugh out loud!!! :) rand you are awesome. I enjoy all the stories you guys have shared. I'm afraid I'm still pretty angry to add positive thoughts. But know I love you guys and am thinking constantly of your family
ReplyDelete-anna
Carl was ever bit the man we all loved. it sounds like he was like Uncle Don seriuos at times but fun loving as well. I'll never forget our trips to vist the cousind up North or the tradinal Thanksgiving get togethers. Memroies are so nice to have. May God bless..John Blair
Delete