Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Learning to Pump


I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about different memories and life lessons my dad was constantly teaching me.   Sometimes dad has what we call “tough love”.  He probably had to show this with me, more than the other kids, maybe not.  I remember a particular time when I had just turned 4.  It was Easter, and I'd just gotten a swing set for my fourth birthday, life couldn’t have been better.  (I definitely was not spoiled) It was a nice spring day and I was ready to swing!  Problem was I didn’t know how to “pump” or push myself.  My family was enjoying a perfect day in the backyard jumping on the trampoline and I needed someone to push me, ASAP.  As I asked for someone to push me, again, again and again, I solicited no response.  On about the 25th request within about 2 minute period, my dad finally looked over and yelled “Lindsay, if you don’t learn to pump, this is going to be a LONG SUMMER!”  I still think about that.  Especially now, if I don’t learn to pump, this will be a long summer.   We are all pumping through this situation, as difficult and heartbreaking as it may be, and I’m doing my best to heed my dad’s advice.  I’m so thankful for the countless life lessons I have been able to learn from dad. 

2 comments: