Sunday, July 14, 2013

Carl Blair memory...

"First of all I want to let you know how much Carl's funeral touched my Soul.  I drove home with a new commitment to my wife and children after hearing the many stories of the way he treated his own family.  

One of my favorite memories of Carl is a story I remember him telling me when I was a young man under his command in the 12th ward.  He used to tell me of his long rides across the state of Utah on his road bike.  I loved to listen and promised myself to cycle across America someday, a dream I still have but yet to fulfill.  He told me how he once rode his bike through Zion National Park and entered from the east entrance.   Because of my super intimate knowledge of the park I was immediately curious how he was able to get his bike through the Mt Caramel tunnel inside the park only because bikes are strictly forbidden due to safety reasons.  He said "it was no problem at all.   I was already moving at a fast pace making good time and figured why stop and talk to the ranger guarding the entrance.  So I just waved at him and rode on through."   I can never drive through that tunnel without thinking about the Red Dog waving and smiling and then riding on through.   I feel like my love of cycling is a direct influence from Carl!"-Joshua Watkins 

1 comment:

  1. Thae way I remember him telling it is he held onto a car in front of his & and motioned that he was with the car. The poor guy in the car didn't have a clue what was going on

    ReplyDelete