Monday, May 26, 2014
Memorial Day (written by Marilyn)
Since today is Memorial Day I want to share something very special that Carl’s employer, Kroger (Smith’s), did for me. The past 4 years the company has presented a few Key awards to outstanding employees that made a great contribution to the company. Carl received a Key award last year but this year, they presented a brand new award. It is the Carl Blair Memorial Award and it’s called “You’ve Got What It Takes!” They also arranged to fly me to Kentucky to the awards dinner On April 11th to be there when it was presented. It was a very tender tribute to Carl to hear many friends and employees speak of the way he had influenced them and the contribution he had made to the company during his 40 years of employment. Eleven months ago today our lives changed and things are not and never will be just as they were. I have to believe that my kids and I are much stronger than we were back then. This has been, as Carl would say, the ultimate “character builder” and I am convinced I will be a better person than I would have been. We are painfully aware of his absence at every family outing but we have received many tender mercies. We are preparing for the marriage in less than one month of our daughter Julie to a wonderful man that we all love. We are grateful for the continued love and support we feel from our friends and family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


What a neat award for his company to come up with. Great way to remember him!
ReplyDelete